1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Annual Reports
  4. »Health
  5. »Lifestyle changes reduce impact of diabetes

K-State Research and Extension

Lifestyle changes reduce impact of diabetes

What we are doing:

diabetesOne in 10 Kansans 18 and older has been diagnosed with diabetes (90-95 percent have the preventable Type 2 diabetes), which increases the risk of stroke, heart disease, kidney disease, blindness and lower-limb amputation. K-State Research and Extension offers Dining with Diabetes, a national extension program designed to boost the health and wellness of Kansans with Type 2 diabetes and help educate those challenged with diabetes, their family members, caregivers and others who support them.

Our impact:

Forty K-State Research and Extension family and consumer sciences agents are trained to offer the Dining with Diabetes program; 25 agents have implemented the program across the state.

The program offers two-hour weekly classes over four weeks. Lessons include:

• the best self-care methods for those who have the disease
  • healthful food choices including familiar foods
  • low-impact physical activity
  • food sampling
  • cooking techniques using herbs, spices, reduced-fat foods and artificial sweeteners

“The main reason I started the Dining with Diabetes program is that my dad and brother are diabetics, and I had a 5.5 blood glucose level and needed to make some changes. Through the program I changed how I eat, cut out processed food and haven’t had a pop in over a year. It has helped me immensely.”

— Ed Dutton, oil field lease operator, Elkhart, Kansas