Access and Disability Accomodations
K-State Research and Extension programs are open to all, and Kansas State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. There may be occasion when you receive a request to provide accommodations to support the full participation of one of your program participants.
The following statement should appear on all event registration materials and program announcements:
"K-State Research and Extension is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Program information may be available in languages other than English. Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities, including alternative means for communication (e.g., Braille, large print, audio tape, and American Sign Language) may be requested by contacting the event contact (insert name) two weeks prior to the start of the event (insert deadline date) at (insert phone number and email). Requests received after this date will be honored when it is feasible to do so. Language access services, such as interpretation or translation of vital information will be provided free of charge to limited English proficient individuals upon request.
Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service
K-State Research and Extension is an equal opportunity provider and employer."
- Learn more about K-State Research and Extension Statements of non-discrimination in the "Public Notification of Civil Rights" section of our Civil Rights Compliance Resources page.
Requesting and Providing Accommodations
Disability Accommodations Process
- Community member, volunteer, program participant, youth or family member communicates that accommodations are needed for an event to be accessible.
- The Extension professional should help the program participant or their representative complete the Disability Accommodations Request Form.
- Upon submission, the Disability Accommodations Request Form will automatically go to the accommodations review committee and a formalized interactive process is launched between K-State Research and Extension's representative, K-State's Human Capital Services (HCS), and the individual requesting accommodations.
- The accommodations coordinator contacts individual to schedule an "intake" that lasts between 30 minutes and one hour.
- Intake consists of better understanding and formalizing the disability accommodations request and articulating what the Extension event entails to determine accessibility needs.
- Individual fills out Consent of Release of Information and a medical professional fills out a medical form and sends directly to HCS.
- The accommodations coordinator consults with K-State Human Capital Services.
- Individual and Extension professional are contacted with the determination of the disability accommodations request.
- Template for Local Unit Accommodations Notification verbiage
- Disability Accommodations procedural information (presentation)
Increasing Accessibility for Extension Programming
Creating Accessible Extension Materials:
- KSRE Accessibility Resources list (provided at the 2020 Annual Conference)
- "Accessibility in Action" video, which goes through an example Word document, correcting and updating it to be more accessible
American's with Disabilities Act Documents:
Limited English Proficiency (LEP) Resources
- "I Speak" Language Identification Cards
Professional Development and Learning
Accessibility as an Inclusive Practice
Recorded: November 20, 2020
This presentation was also given at the 2020 KSRE Annual Conference under the same name
View the Accessibility as an Inclusive Practice recording on YouTube
- Watch the "Accessibility in Action" video (featured during both Accessibility as an Inclusive Practice presentations) which goes through an example Word document, correcting and updating it to be more accessible
- KSRE Accessibility Resources list (provided at the 2020 Annual Conference and November 2020 Every Third Friday presentations)
- View the Accessibility as an Inclusive Practice PowerPoint presentation
More Accessibility Presentation Recordings
View the Inclusive Leadership Strategies: Disability Accommodations and Advising webinar or view its PowerPoint presentation
- Watch the May 01, 2020 Disability Accommodations Webinar or view its PowerPoint Presentation
- K-State Accessibility Checklists provides easy-to-follow checklists and accessibility procedures for various platforms
- WebAIM stores resources regarding the importance of accessibility, how-to information, and tools for checking accessibility