Program Focus Team Descriptions
The following have been identified as areas for program focus. The descriptions reflect potential topics around which professional development could occur. They are not meant to be definitive and will be further developed by the program focus teams.
1. Adult Development and Aging – issues related to older adults, such as chronic disease management, caregiving, intergenerational relationships, home modification to promote independent living, planning for long term care and end-of-life issues.
2. Community Vitality– attaining attitudes, skills and abilities for community and economic development.
3. Crop Production – tillage method, variety selection, planting, weed/insect/disease control, irrigation, fertilization, harvesting, storage, processing, sustainable production techniques.
4. Family and Child Development – family systems, communication in couples, parenting, child development.
5. Family Resource Management – family budgeting, financial planning, saving, financial security in later life.
6. Farm Management – business and marketing plans, labor issues, risk management, farm accounting, decision-making tools.
7. Horticulture – woody ornamentals, turfgrass, silviculture, floriculture, food crops.
8. Livestock Production – breed/species selection and management, feed/nutrition, facilities, meat quality, animal ID.
9. Natural Resources – watershed soil conservation, water quality and quantity issues, rangeland and forestry management, air quality, environmental issues, bio-energy production.
10. Nutrition, Food Safety and Health – nutrition through the life cycle, nutrition for low-income audiences, food security, consumer and food handler food safety, physical activity promotion, chronic disease prevention.
11. Youth Development – utilizing the knowledge of human growth and development processes to create environments that help youth reach their full potential; supporting positive youth development and decreasing problem behaviors in youth (focusing on youth of 4-H age).