Food Safety at Farmers Markets
From spring into fall, farmer's markets provide a variety of fresh produce as well as many other foods. Many people believe locally grown fruits and vegetables are completely safe.
Unfortunately, several cases of foodborne illness have been connected with fruits and vegetables. For more information on food safety at farmer's markets and roadside stands, see the links below.
To help you bring your food products to market, let the Kansas Value Added Foods Lab evaluate your food products, help you with labeling and much more!
Key points for produce growers to help growers understand what the new rules mean to their operation.
Farm to School Resources
- Produce Food Safety for School and Community Gardens - Iowa State University
Farmers Market Vendors
- Food Safety for Kansas Farmers Markets: Regulations and Best Practices
- Sampling Safely at Kansas Farmers Markets, Farm Stands, and Related Events - September 2016
- Frequently Asked Questions about Handling Flooded Produce - March 2016
- Selling at Farmers Markets: Regulations and Best Practices - March 2016
- 2016 Farmers Market Workshop Presentations
- Food Sales at Farmers Markets in Kansas
- Farmers Market Resources for Kansas
- Farmers Markets and Local Food Marketing
- Food Safety: Good Manufacturing Practices
- What's on a Food Label?
Farmers Market Update - April 2017
Dr. Londa Nwadike