Released: Nov. 16, 2016
Understanding new veterinary feed directives for beef cattle producers
Meetings are being held across the state to familiarize producers with the new VFDs set to start Jan. 1.
MANHATTAN, Kan. -- K-State Research and Extension will offer state-wide educational opportunities this fall focusing on the Food and Drug Administration veterinary feed directive that will go into effect Jan. 1, 2017. To prepare, producers need to become familiar with the regulation and the associated procedures.
“The information presented will ensure that the producers of Kansas will be at the forefront of this change in the industry,” says A.J. Tarpoff, K-State extension beef veterinarian. “It’s imperative that we use antimicrobials judiciously and the VFD has steps to guarantee this proper use.”
K-State Research and Extension in cooperation with K-State’s College of Veterinary Medicine will present information at a number of sites across the state to help producers, feed distributors and veterinarians understand the details.
Meetings scheduled across Kansas in the upcoming weeks include:
- Nov. 16, 5:30 p.m. CST - Midland Railroad Hotel, Wilson - Cost of meals and materials $10, RSVP to 785-483-3157, 785-472-4442 or firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Nov. 22, 2 p.m. - HCC Klinefelter Barn, 1774 230th St, Hiawatha - 785-742-7871;
- Nov. 22, 7 p.m. CST - Nemaha County Community Building, Seneca - 785-336-2184;
- Nov. 30, 6 p.m. CST - Sheridan County 4-H Building, Hoxie - RSVP by Nov. 28 to 785-475-8121 or 785-675-3378;
- Nov. 30, 6 p.m. CST - Marais des Cygnes Extension District Office, Paola - RSVP by Nov. 23 to 913-294-4306 or 913-795-2829;
- Dec. 6, 11 a.m. CST, Extension Meeting Room, Howard - Cost of meals and materials $5, RSVP by Dec. 2 to 620-374-2174;
- Dec. 7, 6 p.m. CST, Gaylord Community Center, 509 Main Street, Gaylord - RSVP by Dec. 1 to 785-738-3597 or email@example.com;
- Dec. 5, Stockton - 785-425-6851; and
- Dec. 8, 5:15 p.m. CST, Butler Co. Community Building/4-H Building, El Dorado - Cost of meal and materials $5, RSVP by Dec. 5 to 316-321-9660 or firstname.lastname@example.org
As further meeting information and details are available they will be posted to www.KSUBeef.org or contact your local county or district extension office for a learning opportunity in your area. More information on the VFD can be found at KSUBeef.org.
K‑State Research and Extension is a short name for the Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service, a program designed to generate and distribute useful knowledge for the well‑being of Kansans. Supported by county, state, federal and private funds, the program has county Extension offices, experiment fields, area Extension offices and regional research centers statewide. Its headquarters is on the K‑State campus in Manhattan.
For more information:
Angie Denton – email@example.com or 785-562-6197