The Family and Child Development website from K-State Research and Extension is designed to share research-based educational information for enhancing the quality of personal and family life in communities throughout Kansas as well as the nation. We hope you take time to browse through our web pages to find resources that could be helpful in your daily life, whether it be with family, friends, co-workers, or other persons with whom you are connected in the community.
If you are a Kansas resident, your local K-State Research and Extension office can give you assistance with family-related resources. They can provide you with the materials listed under publications and other information as requested.
Becoming More Mindful (information from Psychology Today)
- Consider meditation
- Let yourself become full aware of your own breath to help focus on the current moment.
- Cultivate an open, present state of mind through your interactions with others at home and work.
- Implement mindfulness activities in your daily routines
- For instance, when you are outside, focus on your surroundings including what you see, hear, smell, and feel.
- Eat mindfully
- Consider what your body is telling you.
- Eat the amount you need rather than over filling.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Consider where your foods come from.
- Sleep mindfully
- Be sure to get enough and good quality sleep. This can help you throughout the day.
Coping with stress often begins with healthy communication and conflict resolution. Here are some tips to maintain positive relationships during busy times of the year:
- Avoid accusatory statements so that the listener is more willing to respond positively.
- When stress levels rise, practice calming techniques such as time-outs, soft voices, humor, or smiling.
- Avoid hot-button topics and focus on keeping the conversation light and cordial.
- Accept your differences and work towards a compromise. While conflict can be stressful, forgiveness can strengthen your family and your relationship
Source: National Resource Center for Healthy Marriage and Families