Food Safety at Farmers Markets and Direct to Consumer Sales
To help you bring your food products to market, let the Kansas Value Added Foods Lab evaluate your food products, help you with labeling and much more!
- This fact sheet provides information on regulations specifically for selling produce in Kansas. MF3478 - December 2019
- This publication provides information for vendors and for direct to consumer sales. MF3138 - Updated January 2022
This includes legal resources, best practice recommendations and case studies for market leaders on selecting and enhancing business structures, accepting SNAP benefits, and managing common risks. This is from the University of Vermont Center for Agriculture and Food Systems.
Key points for produce growers to help growers understand what the new rules mean to their operation.
Farm to School Resources
- Garden to Plate: Food Safety for School and Community Gardens (Fact Sheet) - Kansas State University
- Garden to Plate: Food Safety for School and Community Gardens (Leader's Guide) - Kansas State University
- Make Food Safety a Priority in Your School Garden - Iowa State University
Seasonal and Simple
Four Universities have partnered to bring you Seasonal and Simple! This free app is designed to help you find local farmers markets, produce in season, recipes, storage and more. This can be accessed on the web or download the app to your mobile device.
Farmers Market Vendors
- Farmers Market Workshop presentations - From the Land of Kansas
- The 2020 FNS EBT Equipment Grant Program - Farmers Market Coalition
- Food Safety for Farmers Market Vendors - 2018
- Food Labeling for Kansas Food Producers and Processors (Spanish) - January 2019
- Sampling Safely at Kansas Farmers Markets, Farm Stands, and Related Events (Spanish) - September 2016
- Frequently Asked Questions about Handling Flooded Produce - March 2016
- Food Sales at Farmers Markets in Kansas - Kansas Department of Agriculture
- Farmers Market Resources for Kansas - Kansas Department of Agriculture
- Food Safety: Good Manufacturing Practices - K-State Research & Extension
- What's on a Food Label? - K-State Research & Extension
- Kansas Specialty Crop Growers Association
- Farmers Market Resources - Missouri Department of Agriculture
- Farmers Market Coalition