Food Safety at Farmers Markets and Direct to Consumer Sales
From spring into fall, farmer's markets provide a variety of fresh produce as well as many other foods. Many people believe locally grown fruits and vegetables are completely safe.
Unfortunately, several cases of foodborne illness have been connected with fruits and vegetables. For more information on food safety at farmer's markets and roadside stands, see the links below.
To help you bring your food products to market, let the Kansas Value Added Foods Lab evaluate your food products, help you with labeling and much more!
- This fact sheet provides information on regulations specifically for selling produce in Kansas. MF3478 - December 2019
- This publication provides information for vendors and for direct to consumer sales. MF3138 - Updated January 2021
A farmers market is a market with multiple vendors selling goods directly to consumers at a specific location and a scheduled time. Vendors are frequently producers; selling fresh fruits and vegetables, honey, meat, dairy, eggs, grains, prepared foods, or other specialty items.
Map locations current as of September 30, 2018. Map courtesy Kansas Department of Health and Environment
Key points for produce growers to help growers understand what the new rules mean to their operation.
Farm to School Resources
- Garden to Plate: Food Safety for School and Community Gardens (Fact Sheet) - Kansas State University
- Garden to Plate: Food Safety for School and Community Gardens (Leader's Guide) - Kansas State University
- Make Food Safety a Priority in Your School Garden - Iowa State University
Seasonal and Simple
Four Universities have partnered to bring you Seasonal and Simple! This free app is designed to help you find local farmers markets, produce in season, recipes, storage and more. This can be accessed on the web or download the app to your mobile device.
Farmers Market Vendors
- Farmers Market Workshop presentations - From the Land of Kansas
- The 2020 FNS EBT Equipment Grant Program - Farmers Market Coalition
- Food Safety for Farmers Market Vendors - 2018
- Food Labeling for Kansas Food Producers and Processors (Spanish) - January 2019
- Sampling Safely at Kansas Farmers Markets, Farm Stands, and Related Events (Spanish) - September 2016
- Frequently Asked Questions about Handling Flooded Produce - March 2016
- Food Sales at Farmers Markets in Kansas - Kansas Department of Agriculture
- Farmers Market Resources for Kansas - Kansas Department of Agriculture
- Food Safety: Good Manufacturing Practices - K-State Research & Extension
- What's on a Food Label? - K-State Research & Extension
- Kansas Specialty Crop Growers Association
- Farmers Market Resources - Missouri Department of Agriculture
- Farmers Market Coalition