Food Safety at Farmers Markets
From spring into fall, farmer's markets provide a variety of fresh produce as well as many other foods. Many people believe locally grown fruits and vegetables are completely safe.
Unfortunately, several cases of foodborne illness have been connected with fruits and vegetables. For more information on food safety at farmer's markets and roadside stands, see the links below.
To help you bring your food products to market, let the Kansas Value Added Foods Lab evaluate your food products, help you with labeling and much more!
Key points for produce growers to help growers understand what the new rules mean to their operation.
Farm to School Resources
- Make Food Safety a Priority in Your School Garden - Iowa State University
Kansas Fresh is a mobile app available for smart phones and tablets in the Apple app store and Google Play store. Kansas Fresh helps you locate registered farmers' markets near you, anywhere in Kansas. You can also find recipes and videos for your fruits and vegetables, as well as a identify which products are currently in season.
Seasonal and Simple
Four Universities have partnered to bring you Seasonal and Simple! This free app is designed to help you find local farmers markets, produce in season, recipes, storage and more. This can be accessed on the web or download the app to your mobile device.
Farmers Market Vendors
- Food Safety for Farmers Market Vendors - 2018
- Food Labeling for Kansas Food Producers and Processors (Spanish) - January 2019
- Food Safety for Kansas Farmers Markets: Regulations and Best Practices (Spanish)
- Sampling Safely at Kansas Farmers Markets, Farm Stands, and Related Events (Spanish) - September 2016
- Frequently Asked Questions about Handling Flooded Produce - March 2016
- Food Sales at Farmers Markets in Kansas
- Farmers Market Resources for Kansas
- Farmers Markets and Local Food Marketing
- Food Safety: Good Manufacturing Practices
- What's on a Food Label?
Farmers Market Update - April 2018
Dr. Londa Nwadike